Friday, October 29, 2010

An Ocean Beating Gave Me a New Perspective!



I remember this day so clearly.  It was the first time that I went to the North Shore of O'ahu with some friends.  We are were on a break from college and decided to fly from the Big Island to O'ahu.  The ocean was very calm but the land slopped so much into the ocean that it caused the waves to be pretty big and just pound the shoreline.   


In order to get out to the ocean and into the calmness, we needed to make it past the "beating" on the beach.


I loved the ocean so much but at this time I hadn't had much experience with it. I grew up in Colorado, land locked all my life except for two summer vacations with my family to Bonaire, which is located 50 miles North of Venezuela.  My experience with Bonaire had gentle waves and a calm ocean.


So, I looked at the waves just beating down on the beach and took a deep breath, ran down the slope and right it to the wave.  Oh my goodness, I felt as if I was in a washing machine.  I did a few somersaults, feeling as if I was being mixed in with the sand.  All I was thinking about at the time was, I hope that now one is watching me.  


So the ocean receded and I was on the beach, luckily my suit was still intact but I had sand everywhere!  So I got up and immediately and DID THE SAME THING!  Not thinking, or connected to my guidance, I just picked myself up and ran back into the ocean.  There it was again, I was in the spinning cycle of the washing machine.  


OH MY GOODNESS.  It wasn't until my 3rd attempt that I realized that I had to take a time out, and actually TIME the waves!  You might be thinking what does that mean?  


OK, as the waves come in, they beat on the shore then there is a few seconds where it is somewhat calm and the water recedes back.  It is in that calmness when I should be making my way into the ocean.


NOT when the waves are pounding so hard on the beach and putting me in the spin cycle.  
----- I do want you to know that as I am writing this I am really laughing at myself.  Looking back on it, it truly was funny! =) 


The reason I am sharing this with you is because I am sure there have been times in your life that you have done something that hasn't worked and you keep going back and doing it again and again and again the same way.  You are pretty much going through what I just talked about, a beat down from the ocean.  


All you need to do it step back from what your doing, take a breather and re-examine it.  Maybe from a different perspective or pulling someone from the outside will help you to get some insight on how you can make your situation work.


If we don't step away from something that isn't working and re-examine it, then we usually give up, call ourselves a failure or call the situation a failure.  


Nothing is a failure but a challenge to get you to open up to something new!  I hope this helps you to get a good laugh but also be able to re-examine any situation that isn't working for you!


I would love to hear from you!  Please leave your comments below!    

Image: Michelle Meiklejohn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments: